Support RVFB while taking a fun-filled culinary tour of Columbia City's fabulous restaurants! Columbia City boasts some of Seattle's newest, hottest food spots, as recently reported in the New York Times!
Buy your passport 100% proceeds go to RVFB! Bring your friends, and prepare to sample scrumptious bites from great restaurants in the neighborhood:
Full Tilt Ice Cream
St. Dames Café
Tutta Bella Neapolitan Pizzeria
Like Chow Down on Facebook to find out more!
Volunteer opportunities abound! Click here to learn more.
We accept donations year-round
RVFB needs your help now more than ever. Support from our awesome community allowed RVFB to fulfill over 37,000 individual requests for food -- enough to feed 116,000 people in 2011! This level of demand continues to grow. Please consider hosting a food drive at your local school, at your work place or your neighborhood grocery store. No donation is too small.
If you are interested in hosting a food drive or making a credit card gift by phone, please call us at 206 723 4105.
What We Do
The Rainier Valley Food Bank (RVFB) provides food assistance to low-income residents in southeast Seattle, with a focus on seniors, families, individuals with disabilities and the homeless. No one is turned away who meets the food bank’s broad criteria for assistance. Our mission is to provide healthy food to our hungry neighbors.
Volunteers work tirelessly year-round toward the realization of our vision: a hunger-free Rainier Valley.
Our food bank is wheelchair accessible, and sets aside a service day for elderly and disabled persons. The food bank also assists families with babies by offering baby food, formula and diapers as available. RVFB is open on Saturdays to serve working families, and is located on three major bus lines serving southeast Seattle: the 7, the 9 and the 39.
Here are several reasons to support Rainier Valley Food Bank:
Demand continues to rise
1. We are a small facility with a big responsibility. In our tiny building - thanks to the donations of time, food and money from community members - we provide groceries for close to 11,000 people a month.
2. We are the only food bank in the heart of Rainier Valley between the Central District and Skyway.
3. The still-sour economy and rising grocery, healthcare and fuel costs have significantly increased the need in our community. In 2009, we saw a staggering 65% increase in demand. This demand continued to rise in 2011, the busiest year ever in our 20-year history. We continue to break service level records. The first Quarter of 2012 was the busiest on record.
RVFB is a grassroots, community effort
1. With only three employees, our food bank could not operate without a cadre of committed, long-term community volunteers who contribute over 2,000 hours of service every month.
2. An invigorated board representing top corporations and the Columbia City community are leading RVFB with a focus on fundraising, community awareness and management of the organization to better serve our clients and meet the increasing demand.
3. Private donations from community members account for over half of our funding. In a still-struggling economy, RVFB needs the support of the community more than ever. Please consider taking a moment to help your neighbors and our food bank today.