The holidays are just around the corner. Winter months are a time to reflect, give thanks and give back. There are a multitude of ways that you can help Rainier Valley Food Bank this holiday season. Find the one that’s right for you, your budget and schedule …
1. Host a Food Drive Organize your faith community, office, school, or neighborhood. We can offer marketing materials, bins, and even pick-ups if necessary. Think up some ideas and email carter@RVFB.org to get collecting! Use our online food drive guide for tips for success. Food banks tend to get inundated with cranberry and pumpkin during the holidays, so use this list below for items most needed:
- Big Bags of Rice
- Bags of Flour or Cornmeal
- Cooking Oil
- Soy or Rice Milk
- Soy or Fish Sauce
- Chicken Broth
- Dried Herbs & Spices
- Healthy Snacks & Crackers
- Gluten-free foods
- Reusable Grocery Bags
Food Donations can be dropped off at RVFB, 4205 Rainier Ave South, Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.. We will be closed for the holidays on Wednesday, Nov 23rd through Friday, Nov 25th, and Friday Dec 23rd though Monday 26th. The following locations are also available for food donation drop-off:
2. Volunteer! You can sign up online as an individual volunteer for our busiest holiday distribution days on November 16th, 19th and December 17th and 21st. We love having groups of family, friends and coworkers help onsite. Group spots fill up quickly during the holidays, so it’s never too early to sign up. Gather a crew and email volunteer@RVFB.org to get started.
3. Shop & Dine Smart RVFB has several Holiday partnerships that make holiday giving easier for you and for us!
Through the month of November, 10% of glassybaby votive sales at their Madrona store will benefit RVFB. Each beautiful votive sold will give 5 meals to one of our neighbors! Get into the holiday spirit and visit the Madrona glassybaby store.
If you do any online shopping through Amazon.com, RVFB receives 0.5% of most purchases when you use AmazonSmile. Simply follow this link to support Rainier Valley Food Bank.
Needing some respite and delicious eats after holiday shopping? Stop in for some grub at Geraldine’s Counter Restaurant in Columbia City, as their servers will be competing to collect the most donations for RVFB through the month of December.
You can also eat your local heart out at Dine Around Seattle (DAS). Seattle’s premier biannual dining event, DAS giving you the chance to try some of the areas best restaurants for a great deal – all while helping support local businesses AND Rainier Valley Food Bank. Learn More.
4. Become a Monthly Meals Donor Keep it simple and donate an amount that’s right for you each month. Monthly contributions are a simple way to help us distribute fresh and vibrant foods all year long. A monthly donation instead of one lump sum makes giving more sustainable for you and for us! Donate now and chose “Make my payment a recurring payment” after you enter the monthly amount.
5. Join us at our Holiday Happy Hour The RVFB Board of Directors would like you to join us at the brand new Black & Tan Hall in Hillman City as we celebrate the holiday season and raise awareness for Rainier Valley Food Bank! Libations, non-alcoholic beverages, and light snacks. Suggested donation of $5 is requested per beverage. Everyone is welcome, 21+. Share the event with friends and neighbors alike via facebook, or by sharing this direct link to the invite: http://bit.ly/2eGzas2
6. Enjoy some Wintersong Relax and rejuvenate with an evening of Songs for the Season to benefit the Rainier Valley Food Bank. Artists include: Bryan John Appleby, Sundries, John Dillon, Emma Lee Toyoda, Aaron Starkey (Gibraltar), Bigfoot Wallace and more! December 2nd @ Piranha Shop, 1022 1st Avenue South. $5 suggested donation. Tickets and details.
7. Windermere Fundraiser for RVFB You’re invited to the unveiling of the 2017 “Twelve Months of Ted” calendar, benefiting Rainier Valley Food Bank! Come on out for a night of frivolity as we share food, drinks and some community love. 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Hillman City Collaboratory, 5623 Rainier Ave S, Seattle, WA 98118
8. Join the #GivingTuesday Movement Black Friday … Cyber Monday … #Giving Tuesday. Join the movement with thousands of others on November 29th and give back! Your gift will be stretched by a generous donor, so #GivingTuesday is the perfect time for you to help power RVFB in providing wholesome foods for the year ahead. Mark your calendar and donate on RVFB.org on November 29th!
9. Donate to the Holiday Protein Fund Help us provide whole chickens, turkeys and hams to make holiday meals special for our hungry neighbors. Donating funds instead of meat ensures we can buy proper portions for fair distribution. Click here to support this fund.